Lil Peeps (Eurasian Tree Sparrow)
June 9, 2017: Precious Lil Peeps is celebrating his 6th birthday!
YAY!! Quite a big honor for a teeny little angel!
June 9, 2016: Adorable Lil Peeps' 5th Birthday!
Big Celebration! (Read his amazing story below!)
On June 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm, we found a totally helpless, just-hatched baby bird, struggling on hot cement near busy traffic. We had no idea how he got
there because there were no trees anywhere close to where we found this poor little baby.
June 9, 2016: Our precious Lil Peeps is celebrating his 5th birthday!
A homemade mixture, a recipe recommended by a bird rescue facility, was an instant hit with this sweet little bird! (He slept in a cozy box
with a warm heating pad under the box. As a baby, he literally just ate and slept, ate and slept.)
We named this sweet baby bird Lil Peeps because of the tiny peeping sounds he continuously made in the car on the way home and,then, many times daily when he was hungry and wanted to be fed!
By Day #3, Lil Peeps' eyes were open! He loved sleeping in our hands after each feeding.
By Day #5, Lil Peeps had a lot of feathers growing in!
By Day #7, Lil Peeps' feathers were almost all grown in and very soft!
Lil Peeps never even tried flying until he received his 1st flying lesson on Day #11.
Lil Peeps loved sleeping in his nest with a teeny blanket (we didn't know yet if LP was a boy or girl).
One of our fave photos of LP ~ healthy, cozy and content!
Beautiful Lil Peeps on Day #18! (At this time, we thought LP was a girl due to "her" coloring.) Watching
LP grow from a blind, helpless baby to a strong, beautiful sparrow was miraculous!
Approximately, one-half of wild baby birds do not survive to reach their first birthday. By the time Lil Peeps was old enough to fly on his own, he had bonded so closely with his human caretakers,
he refused to leave his flight cage. He is soooo happy inside the house and even shys away squawking from open doors/windows. (A bird expert said that, on rare occasions, it's safer not to release a hand-raised wild bird. In such cases,
a bird like Lil Peeps is not properly prepared for daily hazards such as predators and cars.)
LP's fave toy: A cute little bowling game ~ but he likes to squeeze inside and nap in it more than play with it!
LP absolutely loves his bathtub! Here he is hopping out after a quick bath!
LP is completely drenched after a bath! It takes a lot of grooming and fluffing to revert back to his famous sparrow look!
Majestic Lil Peeps!
BIG SURPRISE! When LP was about 13 weeks old,
his male coloring suddenly appeared! We were able to identify him as a Eurasian Tree Sparrow !
Close-up of darling, handsome Lil Peeps!
Lil Peeps has 3 mirrors in his cage and he spends HOURS daily admiring himself - and playing with the colorful beads on the mirrors!
Lil Peeps pretending to be Count Dracula!
Click HERE to see Lil Peeps' FUN Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Halloween & Valentine Portraits!
Fun Facts About Lil Peeps:
- Lil Peeps does the sweetest thing when he finds one of his feathers at the bottom of his flight cage: He picks it up in his beak, flies over to his food dish, and drops it in! (We've
seen him do this on several occasions!) Does he know we save all his feathers and tape them on the calendar?
Peeps drinks from of a water dish and from a hamster water bottle, using his beak to peck at the ball in the nozzle for water!
- It takes only a few seconds for LP to imitate any type of whistle we make! He LOVES "The Andy Grffith Show" theme, gets excited when he hears
it, and sings with it daily!
- Lil Peeps LOVES singing when his human Daddy plays the guitar and sings! He sings happily for hours with his Daddy!
- LP's favorite female singer is awesome Kate Pierson of The B-52's and sings excitedly when he hears her
amazing voice! We wrote to her and told her about LP, and she sent us a beautiful autographed photo signed to us and "To Lil Peeps"!
- LP still LOVES
to sleep in his Daddy's hand daily!
- Hearing LP sing daily is like having an angel in our midst!
- LP loves smooth jazz music, esp. jazz guitar!
- LP is so smart! He stands in front of his bath chirping loudly when he wants the gate to be opened so he can get in!
- LP has an amazing internal clock! He lets us know, in no uncertain terms, that it's his bedtime and he wants his flight cage covered so he can sleep!
- LP loves watching all household activity ~ whether it's putting up the Christmas tree to cleaning our other pets' cages to wrapping gifts to cleaning the
house! He watches everything! His eyesight is AMAZING! (He can see a gnat fly through the house!)
- LP likes
to be heard over everything including running water, vacuuming, emptying grocery bags, and even sneezing! He will chirp loudly to be heard over any household noise! And, if he hears anyone use his name on TV, he has to chirp loudly; like if an actor says, "I haven't heard a peep..," our LP pipes up immediately, "CHIRP!" which means "I
heard my name!"
- LP is not a fan of dark-colored clothing (like purple, black and esp. red) and usually will not approach
humans (or look at them) when they wear these colors. He prefers humans to wear white or yellow or light green. Our theory about this is that when LP first opened his eyes, it was hot summer (June)
and we were wearing light-colored clothes when feeding him multiple times daily. (Farmers have said that their chickens get scared when they change their wardrobe and wear different clothes/colors/shoes!)
- LP hates change of any kind! He does not want any new toys added to his
cage either! Last year, we gave him a cute basketball game bird toy and he boycotted that area of his cage for months! Even when we removed the new toy, it took weeks for him to go back to
that area of his cage!
- As LP has matured, he has become shy around the camera and doesn't like the camera or flash aimed at
him, unfortunately, so photo ops are rare these days. However, LP's life has continued to be carefree, happy and full of fun daily!
Lil Peeps' Fantasy Halloween Costume Sculpture! BOO!
Lil Peeps' personalized frame!
Fun "Classic TV" Fact:
We love the classic TV series "Mister Peepers" (NBC, 1952-1955) starring award-winning actor, Wally Cox, as Robinson Peepers (a
teacher and writer). In Season 3, Mr.
Peepers wrote an article that was published in "Bird" magazine called, "A Sparrow Speaks His Mind" ... Naturally, we always think of our Lil Peeps who LOVES to speak his mind daily! BTW, Mr. Peepers traveled to NYC to accept the prestigious "Bronze Bird Award" for that history-making
NEXT PAGE: "The Tale of Marty
True Rescue Story! Great Photos!